- Prone positioning
The patient is positioned prone on a radiolucent table. This gives good access to allow fixation of the Volkmann fragment and fibular fracture through a posterolateral approach.
Attention should be paid to the following points:
- The abdomen should hang free to avoid high intraabdominal pressure.
- The arms/shoulders should be resting comfortably in a 90-90° position of the shoulder and elbow.
- Adequate padding needs to be provided to elbows and knees to avoid pressure sores.
- A pillow or other support is placed under the front of the ankle to allow the toes to hang free.
- The head is best placed in a face mask to avoid pressure on the eyes and have the endotracheal tube free with the neck in neutral position.