Main indication: Treatment of choice
If elastic nails are not available, the ESIN method can be performed with long stainless-steel K-wires.
If closed reduction is not possible, an open reduction may be necessary.
This treatment can be performed if image intensifier is not available with fracture reduction under direct vision.
- Cast-free rehabilitation
- Minimally invasive treatment
- Good alignment of fracture fragments
- Predictably good functional outcome
- Sufficient radial head stability
- Image intensifier recommended
- Risk of nerve or tendon injury at entry point
- Risk of infection
- General anesthesia required
- Second anesthetic required for implant removal
|Basic surgical experience, no specialized skills|
|Some specialized surgical experience|
|Highly experienced and skilled surgeon|
|Basic equipment only|
|Simple surgical and imaging resources|
|Full specialized surgical and imaging resources|