Isolated iliac crest fractures can usually be treated nonoperatively, unless there is significant displacement or deformity. Progressive displacement sometimes occurs, thus early follow-up is recommended.
|Acceptable deformity and displacement|
- Closed iliac wing fractures which are small, tolerably displaced.
- Comminution that prevents satisfactory fixation
|ORIF - iliac crest|
|Large fragment with significant displacement|
- Large significantly displaced isolated iliac wing fracture
- Presence or possibility of unacceptable pelvic deformity
- Open fracture, with debridement.
|Basic surgical experience, no specialized skills|
|Some specialized surgical experience|
|Highly experienced and skilled surgeon|
|Basic equipment only|
|Simple surgical and imaging resources|
|Full specialized surgical and imaging resources|